It’s been too cold to work on the plane the past few weeks, but I have been able to perform a few tasks. I riveted the far aft skins, including the small skin at the rear.
One thing I had to deal with was the fact my fuselage is an older variant so the middle lower side skins don’t have provisions for the new luggage support. To drill those holes I had to assemble the luggage compartment. After that, I marked where the holes would be, took the skins off and drilled the holes. It worked pretty well.
I also got more supplies for wiring, as well as my Dynon pitch servo. I’ve been in contact with Dynon and they are able to make a plug and play panel for less than if I were to do it myself. They are able to do this since it’s all in house and not a third party company. So I’ll likely go this route.
I’ve decided to use fireproof conduit to run my wiring in the fuselage. This way, if I need to add wires for upgrades in the future, I can do that easily. I ran two conduit channels, one on either side of the fuselage.
Next is to measure my wire runs so I can start building wire harnesses up towards the panel, when it’s warm enough to work out there.
I’ve been on hold the past couple of weeks waiting for my replacement longerons. It’s also been in the 20s, so it’s too cold to work out in the garage. However, I received the longerons this week so I managed to finally get some work done.
I installed the lower longerons which let me install the step reinforcements. I also installed the rudder pedal springs. The instructions don’t discuss how to do this so I had to do some research. It’s two M5 rivnuts then M5 bolts which attach the springs to Rib 2.
I also got my Dynon wire harnesses for the magnetometer and the servo motors. Now that everything is in place, I can start routing wiring.
Next is to paint longerons 2 and 3 so they match the interior color then I can start my wiring. I’m still missing some parts but those should ship near the end of the month.
This week I didn’t get much done. I’m still waiting on my a bunch of missing parts like the longerons. Until I get those, I can’t progress much more.
I was able to flip the rudder pedal bolts around. There was an additional instruction page in the back that said to do this. They say that clearance needs to be at least 3mm and when I measured after flipping, I have 5mm, so it’s all set.
I’m going to order some wiring and harnesses so I can start working on the electrical over the winter. In the meantime, I built up the fuselage so it looks more like a plane, or a canoe.
Next is to keep waiting on my parts.
This week I finally received some of my missing parts. I didn’t get everything, most notably my replacement longerons. I need those in order to finish the tail and connect that to the center fuselage.
One of the parts I received was the other rudder pedal assembly, so I built all of that section up. I installed the eyebolts that will be used to connect the pedals to the nose wheel. However there is some interference between the nuts and the control stops. I may flip the orientation of the bolts to fix it, but I’m going to check with TAF because it may be another error in the instructions.
Other than that, I worked on priming the other new parts, specifically the parts involved with moving the rear seat up 3 inches.
Next is to figure out the rudder pedals and keep priming parts before it gets too cold outside.
This week I worked on building up the luggage compartment. Even though it’s getting colder outside, the weather was warm enough to paint. I had to drill out a couple of holes in the bulkhead but otherwise it was uneventful. There were two support angles that aren’t called out in the instructions. So I talked to TAF and got that cleared up. I can’t final assemble it because I’m still waiting on the longerons.
My missing parts were shipped out yesterday so they should be here next week. My longerons weren’t in the last shipment so I’m still waiting on that.
Next I’ll continue painting and prepping everything I can until that stuff gets here.
I haven’t done much over the last couple of weeks. I was out of town for work for a while and I’m still waiting on 20 or so individual replacement parts from TAF. While I wait, I’ve been mostly doing busy work.
I rearranged the center and rear fuselage to correctly line everything up for their eventual attachment. I’ve also started calculating wire runs for everything to start building wire harnesses. I’ve also been priming and painting parts before it’s too cold to do that.
One section I’ve built is the surfboard extension in the baggage compartment. Like the rest of the interior, I painted the sides with a dark grey epoxy and the floor with truck bed lining for durability.
Hopefully I get those missing parts soon so I can keep building the fuselage.
This week I prepped the center fuselage for riveting the underside. I built up the fuselage jigs, which are different than previous Sling versions. The way to tell you have them in correctly is by counting the holes in each cross jig. One hole is in the front, six holes is in the back. I then installed as many cross supports and stringers as I could to prevent any twisting or torsion when I tipped it over.
Safety Bulletin 14 requires different stainless steel rivets instead of the standard aluminum rivets. They’re quite different and appear much more robust than the aluminum ones.
I prepped the rivets by cleaning with acetone, then drying with a heat gun. Instead of 2 part fuel tank sealant, I used Eck corrosion sealant, as allowed by the bulletin. I did this because it came in a smaller quantity, so there wasn’t too much wasted. I’ll wait a few days for the sealant to cure, then I’ll clean the excess with a toothpick. I’ll then put it back right side up. I had 3 extra rivets, so I used them for my elevator control stop bracket.
Next, I’ll disassemble the temporarily installed supports and start planning my electrical runs.